Sunday, September 6, 2009

Fresno Magazine-Everything I'm Not

So I've lived in Fresno for a few years now, and I have grudgingly grown to love it. I like the diversity, the culture (yes, there is culture here, if you can come a little ways south), the people and the Tower District specifically.

Fresno Magazine is not a clear representation of Fresno. It should really be called North Fresno Magazine. Or Sprawlville Magazine. It features ads by plastic surgeons, upscale restaurants, and stories about makeovers, apparently.

Fresno Magazine's mission statement is: To celebrate the Fresno area by building community pride & awareness through a shared creative voice.

Sounds good, right? But featured in the last edition was the first of the "Fabulous At Any Age" series. A well-deserving woman was chosen for a makeover.

I'm all for a makeover. I have been known to cut and/or dye my hair, and buy a new wardrobe. At 29, that's really all I need.

It wasn't enough for the first woman in the series of five. Protecting her name, Ms. X, a stay-at-home mom, was given the works-hair, make-up, clothing, even dental work. And plastic surgery.

Fresno Magazine submitted the press release, stating, "[Ms.X] wants to regain her confidence and feel like a woman again." They announced the unveiling to parade Ms. X's new look at a local restaurant.

Did I mention Ms. X is 23?

Fresno Magazine is a world of plastic surgery, botox, and fake tans. I don't want to be hypocritical, so I'm being a little careful. I am not against any of these things, but note the name of the blog.

You can be fabulous at any age (even 23!). With a little "work."

5 comments:

debbie said...

Maybe she was in an accident or something? Something? This sounds like a pretty expensive make-over endeavor. The dental work sounds good if it's someone who really needs it, but the plastic surgery is definitely overboard. You're a good writer, Andrea.

Anonymous said...

Lisa and I are, hehe, addicted to "Addicted to Beauty," this show we found on Oxygen. Fresno Magazine should be their sponsor. And that 23 year-old should meet Diane.

Check it out at http://addicted-to-beauty.oxygen.com/about-addicted-to-beauty?page=0,0

Chelsea Bieker said...

Dear Real Women Anonymous,
There is nothing wrong with a 20- something wanting to "feel like a woman" again. She may be young, but she is still, in fact, a woman. The goal of the makeover series was to feature a woman from each age group. She had a back story that deemed her a makeover. She did not have any radical treatments done, and she looked absolutely glowing afterward!
Thanks for reading, and thank you for you comments. They are always appreciated!
-Chelsea

Andrea said...

One of the main things I disagreed with in the article was that a woman would need plastic surgery to "feel like a woman." I felt like that was expressed, and was disappointed that we would encourage this to a woman at any age. I'm glad that a 23-year-old woman did not undergo any "radical" treatments for the purpose of her makeover.

My hope is that as women, we can always feel like women without plastic surgery. Perhaps if media wouldn't present plastic surgery and botox as the norm, THAT would be a move in the right direction.

Thank you for reading. We also always appreciate comments.

Chelsea Bieker said...

I totally see what you are saying. No woman should need to alter her appearance to "feel like a woman." Personally, while I would not want to undergo plastic surgery, some women do. I think that the idea of plastic surgery is circumstantial; different for each woman.

Society has built certain standards for which women should strive for. In a perfect world these images would not be glorified as they are, and all we can do is support each other and maintain a sense of who we are, not for what is on the outside, but the beauty within.

I think it is cool that a blog like this is out there. Keep on challenging convention!Being a woman is pretty great. :)